Staff & Faculty
"For more than 25 years I have watched the dedicated ADT staff grow young students into
accomplished dancers and inspired choreographers; and witnessed their visionary artistry transform a city."
- Leslie Jane Pessemier, award winning choreographer and Director of the Glenda Brown Choreography Project
- KITTY SEALE ARTISTIC DIRECTOR, BALLET, Kitty Seale founded the Alabama Dance Theatre in 1986. Under her teaching and guidance the Alabama Dance Theatre continues to grow and is recognized throughout the region as a positive training ground for dancers. Kitty has been actively involved in dance as teacher, choreographer and director for the past 30 years. Her early study of ballet was with Lucie Stone, Audrey Gryder, Duane Dishion and George Verdak. More recently, she completed the fourth year of the Russian syllabus under Jurgen Schneider and Janina Cunova. Mrs. Seale has choreographed numerous works for her own and other companies in the state and region. She was selected to attend the 1980 National Craft of Choreography Conference under Ron Cunningham and the 1988 conference under Leslie Jane Pessemier. Her students have received national recognition and scholarship and have gone on to perform with nationally recognized professional groups. Kitty is a life member of The National Registry of Who’s Who. A Montgomery native and graduate of Lanier High School and Sweet Briar College, Kitty was elected to the Lanier Hall of Fame in 1997, and is a 2013 Alabama Governor's Arts Award Recipient.
- JANIE ALFORD RESIDENT CHOREOGRAPHER, JAZZ, HIP-HOP, Mrs. Alford has been with ADT as a dancer, choreographer, and teacher since 1986. She has choreographed numerous award winning works for ADT. Many of her students have successful professional dance careers working regularly in films ,TV, Broadway, and sports dance teams. She is a 2003 recipient of an Artist Fellowship from the Alabama State Council on the Arts. Her works have been selected for Regional Dance America’s Emerging Choreographers and Gala Showcases. She has received Regional Dance America’s 2001 Choreography Connection Award and the 2002 Best Overall Choreography Award at the Panoply Arts Festival. In 2010, she collaborated with Grammy-winning recording artist Beth Nielsen Chapman for “Dances of Faith” which was performed at the prestigious International Ballet Competition. She is a graduate of CCPAC and graduated summa cum laude from Auburn University of Montgomery with a BA in Fine Arts. Mrs. Alford also served as the Public Relations Officer for ADT from 1996 until 2006.
- SARA SANFORD RESIDENT CHOREOGRAPHER, CONTEMPORARY, BALLET, COMPOSITION, began her dance training under Don Steffy, former Artistic Director of the Montgomery Ballet. In 1998 she joined the Alabama Dance Theatre as a company member under the direction of Kitty Seale and Haynes Owens. In 2001 she received a Dance Magazine full scholarship to attend the Craft of Choreography Conference as a dancer. Through several summer seminars with the Alabama Dance Theatre she began her choreography training under Leslie Jane Pessemier. Numerous works have appeared at the Southeastern Regional Ballet Association Festival over the years and in 2007 her piece C’est La Vie was selected to be performed at the Regional Dance America’s National Festival in Pittsburgh. As a choreographer she has attended the Craft of Choreography Conference in Seattle, WA and Winston-Salem, NC. She also has attended the Glenda Brown Choreography Project in Kansas City, MO numerous times. Additionally, she is a Fellowship recipient of the Alabama State Council on the Arts. In 2012 her piece Way of Grace was performed at the Regional Dance Festival in Montreal. In 2017 her piece "are we human?" was performed at the National Festival in Phoenix, Arizona. Recently, she has set new works on Mississippi Metropolitan Ballet and Atlanta Dance Theatre. In addition to her contemporary and classical works she has a growing repertoire of full length ballets such as Peter Pan, A Christmas Carol, Cinderella, Dracula, and The Little Mermaid.
- JENNY LETNER RESIDENT CHOREOGRAPHER, MODERN, Jenny is currently the head of the Dance Department at Trinity Presbyterian High School and the Modern Dance Instructor with the Alabama Dance Theatre. Jenny has been with ADT as a dancer, choreographer and teacher since 1989. She is a 3-time recipient overall winner with the Panoply Choreography Competition and a 3-time recipient of the RDA Monticello Award for her award winning choreography. Jenny is a 1992 NFFA Award winner in Modern Dance and a 1999 recipient of an Artist Fellowship from the Alabama State Council on the Arts.
- CASEY BAILEY BALLET, Casey is a former ADT company member from 1995-2002. Mrs. Bailey returns after an apprenticeship with Alabama Ballet in 2002 and 4 years of training under the world renowned teacher, Magaly Suarez, in Pompano Beach, FL. Mrs. Bailey has danced leading roles in full length ballets such as Swan Lake, Giselle, La Bayadere, Le Corsaire, Coppelia, Pas De Quatre, La Vivandiere and Paquita, while working with many acclaimed choreographers. She has also performed the Balanchine classics La Source and Stars and Stripes. Mrs. Bailey was a finalist in the regional Youth American Grand Prix in 2004 and had the honor in 2006 of dancing with The Cuban Classical Ballet of Miami. Most recently, she represented the United States in the Senior Division of the International Ballet Competition in Jackson, Mississippi coached by Magaly Suarez.
- PAMELA SWAN DIRECTOR OF DEVELOPMENT,
- SUZANNE SHEPPARD REGISTRAR AND WARDROBE MISTRESS, Suzanne has been instrumental behind the scenes serving as wardrobe mistress for ADT since 1986 and registrar since 1985. During that time her costumes have been seen in numerous ADT productions. The Alabama Dance Theatre school continues to flourish with her understanding of dance education, commitment and dedication. While a student at Huntingdon College, she served as costumer and stage manager for many productions. She also worked in those same areas for Montgomery Children’s Theatre and Jasmine Hill Arts Council.
- SARAH MCQUEEN ASSISTANT WARDROBE MISTRESS, Joined ADT in the summer of 2008. Sarah has sung with the Montgomery Chorale and is currently performing with the Madrigal Voices of Montgomery. She is also a free-lance medical illustrator. She is currently working at Alabama Department of Archives and History. Sarah is married to Bob McQueen and is the proud mother of Amanda and Ashley, former company member of ADT.
- KATE SEALE SMITH PUBLIC RELATIONS, PRE-BALLET, BALLET, Ballet teacher and professional dancer, Kate also does the program layout and ad sales for ADT. Kate joined ADT as a dancer in 1987. Since thea ge of 12, she spent the summers studying at the Joffrey Ballet and Boston Ballet schools on full scholarship. She attended Russian syllabus seminars in Houston and Tampa, as well as the National Choreography Conference. She attended the first American Ballet Theatre Intensive in NYC. She was a Dance major at University of Alabama from 1994-97 and the first Alabama Ballet apprentice, 1996-98. She has attended teaching seminars for two summers at Ballet Academy East in NYC. Her dance credits include Odette in Swan Lake, Aurora in Sleeping Beauty, Arabian princess in the Nutcracker, Cinderella title role and Swanhilda in Coppellia. She has danced in Balanchines' La Sources (lead), Stars and Stripes (lead), Valse Fantasie and Serenade, Dwight Roden's Set, Rise, Fall, and Asaf Messerrer'sSpring Waters. Coaches include Dame Sonia Arova, Magaly Suarez, Wes Chapman, Roger Van Fleteran, Alan Hineline, Darla Hoover, Sabra Perry, Haynes Owens, Foye Dubose, Sara Sanford, and Valari Lagrone. Kate is the proud mother of Bennett (6) and Chapman (4).
- EMILY WATERS CARUSO BALLET, Educated and trained in England Mrs Caruso has been an active participant in the cultural life of the communities in which she has lived. Mrs Caruso has directed,taught, and choreographed at all levels and is proud to see former students in dance companies and colleges throughout the United States.Mrs Caruso is privilaged to be spending her "retirement" years with ADT
- BETSY SHEDD TAP, Betsy is a native of Fort Worth, Texas where she studied classical ballet and tap. She is a former member of Ballet Concerto, Montgomery Civic Ballet, Montgomery Performing Arts Company and a founding member of Alabama Dance Theatre. Betsy resides in Prattville with her husband Mike Shedd.